Last Saturday marked what would have been my Dad's 62nd birthday. His grandpa name was Pop. Jill and I do not have a lot of pictures of my Dad but somehow Brodie has picked up the name and says it all the time now. Brodie is getting really good at repeating all his grandparents' names when he sees their pictures, but Pop is one he frequently says unprompted.The picture above shows my dad capturing the retelling of how I proposed to Jill at our engagement party (August 3rd 2002). It's funny to see the transition from being the one in front of the camera to now being behind it more often like my Dad was in this picture. My father taught me a lot of life lessons, but one of the most important would be to not get caught up capturing memories all the time that you forget to make memories. That's hard to do sometimes with all the new tech devices at our disposal (digital cameras and camcorders). My dad made memories with us by being deeply involved in our daily lives as a spectator, coach, friend and parent. He not only touched our lives, but he also impacted numerous other kids and their parents by coaching or teaching whenever the opportunity presented itself.
I could say so much more about Pop, but I will save that for future posts. As I have stated before it is going to be a challenge to pass on his legacy to Brodie, but we (the Scott extended family) are up to it.
As I mentioned Jill and I do not have an abundance of pictures with my Dad. This one below is one of our favorites from the Birkelbach's wedding when Jill and I first started dating...
3 comments:
Kyle, everytime you write about your dad, it just seems like he was such a neat man. What a blessing God gave you such a great man to grow up with - Brodie is blessed b/c of it as well. Thanks for sharing this with the blogging world.
Great message. Your dad was an awesome guy. I loved it when he'd come into town and spend time with us in college.
Kyle,
Well, of course, I am teary eyed, but this was a great tribute to your dad/Pop. He was indeed a great blessing to all of us!I thank God for the joy and love he brought to our lives and for the many ways I see you carrying on the legacy of his character and integrity. I am sure he is applauding you from heaven for being such a wonderful father to Brodie. Love, Mom
Post a Comment